These hearty portobello burgers feature the gourmet flavors of garlic and balsamic vinegar, but, once marinated, only take minutes to make. They are a great vegetarian option for grilling season, and can also be made in an oven.
Total Time: 1 hr. 15 min.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 10 min.
Yield: 4 servings
4 large portobello mushroom caps, about 5 inches in diameter
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 whole wheat buns, toasted, sliced lengthwise to open
4 slices medium tomato
4 thin slices red onion
4 lettuce leaves
1. Place mushrooms in a baking dish, stem side up. Do not use glass.
2. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, and oil in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Drizzle over mushrooms. Cover; refrigerate for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
3. Preheat grill or broiler.
4. Position cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. Grill or broil mushrooms, turning often and basting with marinade, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
5. Place each mushroom on a bun and top with one tomato slice, one onion slice and one lettuce leaf.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.