This Greek Zucchini Salad recipe pairs two of our favorite healthy food trends – zucchini noodles and Mason jar salads – into one recipe that’s perfect for another trend we’re big fans of, meal prep. The recipe makes four grab-and-go salads that can be eaten straight out of the jar, or upended into a bowl where it is easier to toss the ingredients with dressing. Quart-sized Mason jars may look small, but they hold a surprising amount of food.
A creamy avocado and yogurt dressing with garlic and fresh herbs rests at the bottom of the jar until you’re ready to eat, so nothing gets soggy. In fact, the celery and bell peppers marinate in dressing, becoming even more flavorful. Next come red onions, cucumber, spinach, and tomatoes. Feta cheese and kalamata olives add healthy fats and a nice saltiness. The salad is crowned with zucchini noodles that you can make using a spiralizer or a vegetable peeler. The combination of all of these Mediterranean flavors is a winning salad you’ll want to add to your meal prep routine.
- 2 medium zucchini
- ½ ripe medium avocado, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (or 2 Tbsp. red onion)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ½ cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- 6 cups shredded spinach
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut each zucchini into lengthwise strips about ⅛ inch thick. Turn each zucchini slightly after cutting each strip to work evenly around the outside, stopping when you hit the seeds at the core. Discard core. Cut slices lengthwise into ½- inch ribbons. Set aside.
- Place avocado, yogurt, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, and parsley in a blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Evenly divide dressing between 4 one-quart Mason jars. Set aside.
- Evenly layer celery, bell peppers, onion, cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, cheese, olives, and zucchini on top of dressing in jars.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 9 mg
Sodium: 326 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 7 g
Body Beast Portions
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.
Photos by Amanda Meixner